What is Usability Testing?
Before discussing the usability testing let’s first start with the Usability, which comes under the ‘User Experience’ and it refers to how easily users can interact with applications or websites.
Usability testing, a non-functional testing technique that is a measure of how easily the system can be used by end-users.
Usability testing is a way to see how easy to use something is by testing it with real users. Users are asked to complete tasks, typically while they are being observed by a researcher, to see where they encounter problems and experience confusion.
Usability Testing identifies usability errors in the system early in the development cycle and can save a product from failure. It determines whether an application or product is usable, findable, accessible and desirable.
Why Usability Testing?
The primary purpose of a usability test is to gather the data needed to identify usability issues and improve a website or app’s design. If we are doing usability testing the right way and right time with the right people so it will avoid risks of building the bad product and using these we can save lots of time, money and other resources. Below are the goals which include usability testing,
- Identifying the problems
- Uncovering opportunities
- Learn about the target users
When to Use:
- When starting the requirement analysis also you can do it at the low fidelity wireframe stage.
- Beginning of the product
- UX Design or Redesign phase
- At the development stage
- Follow up stage
Process of Usability Testing
The usability test plan is undoubtedly the most crucial step in the whole process. In this stage, ensure that you have clearly defined goals.
- Define the goals and objectives.
- Define the scope of work.
- Recruitment of testers
- Define the cost of study
The first step to recruiting the right users is identifying your target audience. Not every user is the target audience for every application. For enterprise products, there can be multiple sets of users. It is absolutely crucial that the users you recruit relate to the problems that you are trying to solve. In order to achieve that, ensure that you do not recruit anyone working on the project as a user.
- Exploring the goals, objectives, and scope to recruiters
- Assigning the tasks to testers
- Use reporting tools
3. Execution of Test
During the testing execution, make sure that you do not influence the opinion of the users in any way. Make sure you record the test as well as take notes. You can invite another team member to take notes if you want to observe the test.
- Do communication regarding the scope.
- Define the most important scenarios and plan to assign and complete.
- Seek actionable results
4. Data Analysis
Based on your test results, work with your designers and/or product managers to analyze the findings. Keep an open mind towards the test as some findings may be completely opposite to your assumptions. Improve based on the results and feedback of the test. You can highlight the issues that come up in the test in your reports and use them as a starting point for the next versions. It is important that you conduct usability tests often to achieve the maximum benefits from the whole process.
- When done with the testing compile the results and summarize the findings in proper formats.
- Repeat the most important and frequent problems that users encounter.
- Don’t address a single problem that went wrong, instead prioritize the issue that is most problematic and that needs to be resolved.
- Needs actionable recommendations.
- Stakeholder briefing
Purpose of Usability Testing
The purpose of this method is to clarify how the user interacts with the website or software to make certain that the item under test matches user requirements. Usability testing is useful method to define the following :
- Ease and Efficiency
- User Satisfaction
- User Enjoyment
- User Preferences
Types of Usability Testing
Moderated vs. Unmoderated
Moderated Testing: It will be done under the supervision of the trained researcher, who will give guidance of the queries and follow-up questions.
It will produce accurate results as a direct interaction between researcher and test user are there.
The cost of this testing is higher and it’s difficult for any organization to run.
- It will be done without any supervision so testing participants may work from home or from the lab and use their own devices.
- Test results might not be accurate due to the gap between the researcher and test users.
- The cost of this testing is lower than moderated testing.
Remote vs. In Person Usability Testing
- Remote Usability Testing
- It will be done by using the internet or phone calls.
- It will not be done in-depth but the amount of testing will be large using different areas with few of the participants.
- The cost of this testing is not more expensive than In-Person usability testing.
- In Person Usability Testing
- It will be done by the presence of the UX Researcher
- It will be done in depth as UX researchers observe things like data and facial expressions.
- The cost of this testing is higher than Remote usability testing and time-consuming.
Pros and Cons
- It helps uncover usability issues before the product is launched..
- It provides a better user experience.
- It makes the product efficient and effective.
- It saves time for both users and the company.
- It helps to collect feedback from your end users who actually use the product during usability testing so you don’t need to rely on random people.
- Cost is the major part
- Need more resources to set up usability testing.
- Recruiting and management of usability testers will be expensive.
- Usability testing can be used in a variety of ways during your project lifecycle.
- Usability testing is the best method of ensuring your website supports users in achieving their goals quickly and easily. When businesses meet the needs and expectations of their users, they are more likely to develop a successful service.
- Being one of the most recognized UI/UX Design companies, AIMDek Solution is committed to offering the best design solutions for various businesses. We’re not limited to provide not just design but also we help the enterprises to create their brand values. For that our design team has expertise that uses the best design practices and tools to match up the industry standards. Schedule a call to talk to one of our experts!